- The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) – 15 U.S.C. 1681 and The Consumer Credit Reporting Reform Act of 1996
- FTC Issues Final Summaries And Notices Under FACTA
- Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion Letters
- Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act – Prevents identity theft and improves the resolution of consumer disputes, the accuracy of consumer records, and the use of and consumer access to credit information
- Analysis of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act
- Congress Fixes the Vail Letter – Section 611 of the Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act partially fixes problems created by a 1999 FTC opinion letter (Vail) about workplace investigations
- U.S. Patriot Act – An act to deter and punish terrorist acts in the United States and around the world, to enhance law enforcement investigator tools, and for other purposes
- Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 – An act to protect Investors by improving the accuracy and reliability of corporate disclosures made pursuant to the securities laws, and for other purposes
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) – 42 U.S.C. 12101 et seq.
- Consumer Reporting Employment Clarification Act of 1998 2561
- EEOC Guidance on Pre-Employment Inquiries under the ADA – Pre employment Disability-Related Questions and Medical ExaminationInsurance Act – Section 19, Penalty for Unauthorized Participation by a Convicted Individual
- Department of Transportation Requirements – Regulatory Guidance for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations
- Department of Transportation Drug Testing – DOT Urine Specimen Collection Guidelines for the U.S. DOT Workplace
Reasons to Conduct a Background Check
A pre-employment background check can not only save you money in the long run, it can also protect your business. How? If your employees come into direct contact with your customers (for example, in a care capacity) and cause harm to a customer, your business can be liable if that employee has a criminal record. A background check can also provide insight into an individual’s behavior, character, and integrity.